A well-planned field program is the key to successful exploration. The geological services we offer at GeoPool cover a wide range of exploration activities from the planning and preparation stage to fieldwork and the following data management, interpretation, and reporting.
Our employees are specialized in managing and carrying out exploration field programs in geological mapping, diamond drilling, surface soil sampling, base-of-till (BoT) sampling, and trenching. We use highly advanced technologies, including hyperspectral mapping. Our geological services are offered for both short and long term projects.
At GeoPool, we support responsible exploration and work to maintain an open relationship with the local community and authorities. We also actively aim to reduce the environmental impact of our field activities and to improve our work safety procedures.
In condition to the exploration concept or the area of interest, GeoPool compiles available geological information and suggests targets for further investigation. Additional datasets may also be requested from the Geological Survey of Finland (GTK) to support exploration planning. Additionally, we examine the responsibility of the area of your interest and find the possible restrictions for exploration and mining.
For target generation, we offer:
- Compiling and evaluating available data from open sources.
- Requesting available datasets from the GTK archives.
- Preparing data packages for novel projects.
PLANNING AND EXECUTION OF EXPLORATION PROGRAMS
GeoPool is an experienced organizer of exploration field activities. We may construct the whole exploration plan according to your wishes, carry out a ready-planned field program, or provide assistance with a specific task. Once fieldwork has started, we supervise the sampling process to ensure it is conducted correctly, with attention to high sample quality and efficiency.
At GeoPool, we provide both manpower and equipment for different kinds of systematic measurement campaigns. The more data recorded from the drill core, the more value is received from the drilling. New observations can always be made from the archive drill core by applying novel measurement techniques. GeoPool holds in-house portable hyperspectral equipment, portable XRF devices as well as magnetic susceptibility and conductivity meters. We also provide field location services. Our UAV aerial photography system has proved to be a powerful tool in trench mapping.
Our field services include:
- Planning exploration activities for the field season
- Diamond drill program preparation and work supervision on-site
- Drill core geoteching and geological reporting (logging)
- Drill core measurements (pXRF, hyperspectral, density, magnetic susceptibility, conductivity)
- Drill core photography
- Drill core cutting in client facilities
- BoT sampling program preparation and work supervision on-site
- Surface soil sampling with shovel or Auger Soil sample reporting (logging)
- Geological mapping and boulder hunting
- Trenching preparation and work supervision on-site
- Trench mapping and channel sampling
- UAV aerial photography and 3D mesh generation
- Surface water sampling for base-level monitoring
- Sample preparation for geochemical analysis
- Locating historical diamond drilling collars with DGPS
- Marking routes and sampling sites in the field
GeoPool has a long experience in hyperspectral mapping. With our portable ASD TerraSpec® equipment, we have led projects in many parts of the world. The equipment is suitable for systematic hyperspectral measurement campaigns and can measure 1000-1500 meters of drill core daily, depending on the circumstances on site.
Hyperspectral mapping is used to detect alteration minerals. All alteration products that show characteristic features in the spectrum of wavelengths 350-2500 nm (VNIR and NIR/SWIR) can be identified. Such minerals are Micas, Chlorites, Clays, Amphiboles, Sulfates, Carbonates, and Tourmaline.
Hyperspectral mapping is also a cost-efficient and fast exploration tool. Fine-grained alteration minerals that are difficult to differentiate visually can rapidly be detected with our spectrometer. Even minor chemical or crystalline variations are distinguishable. Hyperspectral mapping is a non-destructive method, and the results are easy to understand. The raw data from our study can be used in your GIS and 3D software. The method is applicable to many deposit types, including epithermal and porphyry systems, skarns, kimberlites, VMS and IOCG deposits.
We can detect and visualize the alteration system in your project area by plotting geochemical assays and minerals obtained from spectral data. A specific mineral or a particular wavelength of a mineral might correlate with the mineralization. The more data is collected (proximal and distal), the better and more accurate is the model. This information is particularly valuable in orientating future drilling and in locating new ore bodies.
For hyperspectral mapping, we offer:
- Field portable hyperspectral measurement equipment
- Data collection as on-site measurement campaigns
- Raw data processing and data quality evaluation
- Data interpretation and modelling
DATA MANAGEMENT AND QAQC
GeoPool provides solutions for data storage and quality control. We set up simple, cost-effective systems for data entry and maintenance or solve existing database problems, ensuring compatibility with the used software. In addition, we arrange appropriate QAQC procedures to monitor long-term sampling and laboratory performance. Our QAQC workflow includes checks for sample attributes, process quality, lab accuracy and precision, lab contamination, and field precision.
Our assistance covers:
- Arranging your data for easy querying and report creation
- Evaluating legacy data reliability and incorporating it to the current project database
- Data entry as new data becomes available from drilling or other surveys
- Setting-up appropriate QAQC procedures for your projects
- Providing Standard Reference Material (SRM) for geochemical soil or plant surveys
- Vetting laboratory results as they come in
- Database validation
GEOLOGICAL MODELING, DATA VISUALIZATION AND REPORTING
A correct interpretation of field observations and analysis results is an essential part of exploration. GeoPool reviews your field data in relation to available open-source datasets to produce a comprehensive understanding of the geological system present in your project area. The interpretation can be updated continuously as new data becomes available from drilling or other surveys. We also compile reports and simple data visualizations to support project marketing to prospective investors or partners. With our partners, we can also provide 3D modelling and resource estimation services.
In short, our services involve:
- Interpretation of exploration results to define exploration targets
- Data visualization in 2D as plan or cross-section views
- Delivering map products and reports
- Geological 3D modelling and ore resource estimation (together with our partners)